Last updated: Rāmere, 23 Mahuru, 2022 | Friday, 23 September 2022
What's on this page?
Te Puni Kōkiri Māori Housing Investments
Summary of Māori housing investments over the past five years
Te Puni Kōkiri has delivered a range of Māori housing initiatives, and provided support to individuals, whānau, hapū, iwi and rōpū Māori since the inception of the Māori Housing Network in 2015. The Māori Housing Network was established as one of the Government’s key priorities to improve housing.
Through Budget 21, Te Puni Kōkiri received increased budget to invest into the Māori Housing programme, resulting in the largest single year investment by Te Puni Kōkiri into Māori Housing during the financial year of 2021/22.
Over the past 5 years, Te Puni Kōkiri has funded:
- 248 new houses to be built on papakāinga and 176 new houses to be delivered through the iwi prototypes, a total of 424 new houses contracted
- 2074 repairs to existing whānau owned homes
- 73 feasibility studies for papakāinga development
- $5.6 million into capability building programmes
Te Puni Kōkiri Māori Housing Investment by Financial Year
The funding amounts presented represent the actual costs for projects that have been completed and the forecast costs for projects that have been contracted but are not yet complete. As some projects span multiple financial years, the committed amounts presented here will differ from financial year actual expenditure. The full account of these funds is provided in the financial statements in the Te Puni Kōkiri Pūrongo-ā-Tau | Annual Reports.
Table 1: Number of new houses contracted on papakāinga developments over the past 5 years and amount committed per region.
Table 2: Number of repairs contracted for existing homes over the past 5 years and amount committed per region.
Table 3: Funding invested ($ = million) per region into capability building programmes including Sorted Kāinga Ora over the past 5 years.
Table 4: Number of feasibility studies contracted over the past 5 years and amount committed per region.
Te Puni Kōkiri Māori housing funding recipients
- 2015/16 FY approvals [PDF, 188KB]
- 2016/17 FY approvals [PDF, 209KB]
- 2017/18 FY approvals, refer to Kainga - Māori Housing section of the 2017/18 Vote Māori Development report beginning on page 79 [PDF, 14MB]
- 2018/19 FY approvals, refer to 2018/19 Vote Māori Development report Investment Recipients [PDF, 223KB]
- 2019/20 FY approvals, refer to 2019/20 Vote Māori Development report Investment Recipients [PDF,288KB]
- 2020/21 FY approvals, refer to 2020/21 Vote Māori Development report Investment Recipients