Last updated: Thursday, 15 December 2022 | Rāpare, 15 Hakihea, 2022
Government is implementing a three-year plan to strengthen the Māori media sector to ensure its ongoing sustainability. The plan, which builds on the Māori Media Sector Shift, includes these key actions:
- Set clear outcomes, priorities, and a measurement framework for the sector.
- Improve coordination with wider public media on content commissioning and distribution.
- Develop a workforce and capability strategy.
- Invest in the sector as it transitions to a new public media environment.
- Improve entity arrangements, including considering directly funding Whakaata Māori for content production.
- Update legislation for Māori media.
The Cabinet paper, agreed by Cabinet in August 2022, provides detail on the key actions to strengthen Māori media.