Te Matapaeroa is our data and insights series about Māori-owned businesses, Māori sole traders and significant employers of Māori. Te Matapaeroa 2021 is the third iteration in this series.
The data and insights from Te Matapaeroa are an important and valuable resource for a range of audiences including Māori business networks, policy makers, and decision makers considering how best to support and build Māori enterprise and the Māori economy. This data can also help Māori businesses themselves, their networks and those providing business advisory services to Māori.
Te Puni Kōkiri is increasing its data capability, and this is the first time the research has been conducted in-house. With the support and expert advice of Richard Fabling from the Productivity Commission, we have reviewed our methodology and improved the data and insights in this series.
- Te Matapaeroa 2021: data on the Māori economy: An introduction to the series which includes details about methodology changes [PDF 298KB}
- Interactive data visualisation: To explore and experience Te Matapaeroa data
- Data tables: Showing key characteristics for Māori-owned businesses, sole traders, and significant employers of Māori
- Te Matapaeroa Methodology: Details of the methodology we used to create our dataset.
- Machine-readable dataset:
- About: Māori Enterprise
- Published in 2023