On 12 July 1863 Lieutenant-General Cameron’s forces crossed the Mangatāwhiri Stream to invade Waikato River and the Raupatu began. Read More »
Mokau ki runga
Tāmaki ki raro
Ko Mangatoatoa ki waenganui
Ko Pare Hauraki, Ko Pare Waikato
Ko te Kaokaoroa o te Patetere
The boundaries of the Waikato region cover a land area of approximately 1,700,000 hectares serviced by the Waikato Regional Office of Te Puni Kōkiri.
It extends from the Bombay Hills and Port Waikato in the north, along the western coastline south to Mokau, eastward embracing the King Country, through to the Kaimai Ranges, the Hauraki plains and returning northwards to the Coromandel Peninsula. The region covers the iwi of Waikato, Tainui, Ngāti Maniapoto, Hauraki, Ngāti Raukawa and includes the city of Hamilton (Kirikiriroa).
According to the 2006 Census, the Māori population in the region was 65,394 representing 11.6 percent of the total New Zealand Māori population.
The Tainui Waka (canoe) confederation comprises of four principal related Māori Iwi of the central north island of New Zealand.
The four Iwi within in this region are:
Regional Director: Gail Campbell
19 Worley Place
Private Bag 3020
Waikato Mail Centre
Tel: 07 834 7100
Fax: 07 839 2579
Last modified: 6/03/2012
ABOUT THIS SITE