Te Puni Kōkiri will continue to work closely with whānau, hapū and iwi, and across government, to help with the COVID-19 recovery.
This page sets out key support we provide, as well as links to information and guidance from other parts of the combined government and community response.
You can also click through to stories about whānau and community recovery responses, such as the new Māori cadetships created in Tāmaki Makaurau by Wolf Projects Building Solutions – as pictured here at a team social.
Government information website
See the government’s central website for COVID-19 public information for the fastest way to find information about the COVID-19 recovery efforts across Aotearoa.
Specialist support for Māori business
Government support through ERERE
Advice and information for all Māori businesses can be found on the ERERE site run by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
Māori business support line
There’s a dedicated support line for Māori business, funded by government and run jointly by NZ Māori Tourism, the Federation of Māori Authorities (FOMA), the Poutama Trust and Māori Women’s Development Inc. More information on the Poutama website.
- Call 0800 4POUTAMA (0800 4768 8262)
Find information about support for whenua businesses on the Te Puni Kōkiri website.
The Government has passed legislation to support Māori governance entities to operate through COVID-19. See this page on our website: COVID-19 Response Requirements for Entities – Modifications and Exemptions) Act. The provisions will be able to be applied by entities up to 30 November 2020.
Help for you and your whānau
Protect your hauora
If you or your whānau are unwell, please seek advice.
You can find contacts for health information on the COVID-19 recovery website, in the How to access healthcare section. There is also information on mental wellbeing and preventing family and sexual violence.
Remember there are two free Healthline numbers:
- For COVID-19 specific enquiries, 0800 358 5453
- For general health enquiries, 0800 611 116.
Māori health providers across the motu can assist you and your whānau.
- For information that has been developed by leading Māori health experts for whānau Māori
- To find a North Island Māori health provider
- To find a South Island Māori health provider
Direct help in your rohe
These are the updated contacts for practical support.
- For financial support (for New Zealand residents), call Work and Income on 0800 559 009 – open 7am–6pm (Mon–Fri), 8am–1pm (Sat), Sun closed
- For temporary accommodation because of COVID-19 difficulties, call MBIE’s Temporary Accommodation Service on 0508 754 163 to register
- If you are not sure who to talk to, call the Government Helpline on 0800 779 997 – open 8am–5pm, 7 days a week.
Te Puni Kōkiri regional teams may also be able to connect you directly to the right services and key people in your rohe.
Whānau Ora Commissioning Agencies are also supporting whānau.
- Whānau Ora Commissioning Agency (North Island)
- Te Pūtahitanga o Te Waipounamu (South Island) and their #Manaaki20 initiative
- Pasifika Futures