Piki mai kake mai haere mai ki a mātou.
The Māori Enterprise team are here to tautoko you and your businesses to thrive.
We want to hear from you whether you are new business, ready to grow or currently trying to operate through COVID. We work with you to understand what support you need and together we look at what services will be most beneficial for you.
Please reach out to us to get started. Email your regional Enterprise Advisor
Kowheori-19 he tautoko | COVID-19 Support
We understand this is a difficult time for Māori businesses with the arrival of the COVID-19 Delta variant to our whenua.
COVID Protection Framework
The government has moved into the new COVID-19 Protection Framework and introduced the use of the My Vaccine Pass. We acknowledge there is lots of information to absorb that will impact your businesses.
Our Whānau Recovery Fund provides business advice whether you are in recovery, restructuring, in process of dismantling, need HR or Health and Safety advice, or require support on whānau wellbeing.
Our kaimahi around the motu are ready to maanaki you and connect your business with government agencies who are also able to help. Email us if you need support and one of our kaimahi will response within 24 hours.
Inland Revenue – provides Resurgence Support Payment (RSP). TPK can contact IR on your behalf to help with the RSP applications or you can apply yourself.
Here are other links for COVID support:
- MSD Work and Income – provides access to finance for business start-up costs
- MSD Flexi-Wage Subsidy – provides a short-term wage subsidy to business wanting to hire a candidate nominated by WINZ
- Inland Revenue – provides Resurgence Support Payment (RSP)
- Keep yourself up to date with the latest COVID-19 news.
- Check out the financial support options for businesses, including information on the wage subsidy for employees, a resurgence support payment for loss of income, and leave support for kaimahi that can't work at home when self-isolating.
Kia puāwai ngā hinonga Māori | Supporting Māori Enterprises to Thrive
We provide services, by Māori, for Māori and with Māori, to support the growth and sustainability of your business.
Our aim is to help Māori enterprises build their capacity and capability to ensure they are supported to thrive, in areas such as:
- Marketing and Sales
- Risk Assessment
- Digital Capability
Our kaimahi throughout the motu have regional knowledge and connections with their local Māori business networks that adds to our expertise and informs our advice.
To start increasing your businesses capability get in touch with us.
Mā wai mātou e tautoko | Who we support
We want to hear from you whether you are a new business, thinking about your next move, or ready to grow.
We work with you, and your business, to understand what support you need and to decide together what services will be most beneficial.
Email your regional Enterprise Advisor to get started.
Hononga | Networking
Te Puni Kōkiri partners with other agencies to provide specific business support and supports you to connect with regional Māori business networks. Please see below for links to get in touch with your local networks.
Ngā hononga pakihi Māori | Māori business networks
Get in touch with your local network.
Te Taitokerau - Whāriki Te Taitokerau
Tāmaki Makaurau - Whāriki Māori Business Network
Hamilton - Te Hūmeka
Rotorua - Takiwai
Tauranga -Tauranga Māori Business Association
Taranaki- He Toronga Pakihi ki Taranaki
Whanganui - Te Manu Atatū
Kapiti & Horowhenua - Te Rōpū Pakihi
Wellington - Te Awe
Otago/Southland - Te Kupeka Umaka Māori ki Araiteuru (KUMA)
Ngā hoa kōtui | Partnership Agencies
Te Puni Kōkiri partners with other agencies to provide specific business support for Māori businesses. We can connect you with their services, or you can approach them directly.
Whakawhanaketanga | Developing Capability
- Poutama Trust – can provide advisory support and investment for business investigation, training and growth.
- Te Tumu Paeroa – provides land management services and training programmes for Māori land trustees.
- Regional Business Partners – a nationally available advisory and referral service for capability development in business growth.
Pūtea | Finance
- Māori Women’s Development – Provides access to low-interest loans and a Timebank programme, which encourages sharing skills, knowledge and time without money changing hands.
- Work and Income – Provides access to finance for clients business start up costs.
- Flexi-Wage Subsidy – Provides a short-term wage subsidy to business wanting to hire a candidate nominated by WINZ.
Hokohoko | Exporting
- NZ Customs Service – can assist Māori businesses to protect and develop their exports through the Secure Exports Scheme (SES). Visit the Customs website or send an email to learn more or register your interest in the SES.
- NZTE – provides advisory services, guides, templates, tools and workshops for business that are starting, developing or focusing on exporting.
Auahatanga | Innovation
- Callaghan Innovation – provides access to expertise, services, facilities and funds to support innovation, technology and product development, research and development.
Te Pūnaha Hihiko Vision Mātauranga Capability Fund – offers funding schemes to support the development of skilled individuals and organisations involved in research and innovation.
Tāpoi | Tourism
- NZ Māori Tourism – provides advisory services and general business information for Māori tourism businesses
Rāngai Matua | Primary Sector
A wide range of support services are available for initiatives in the primary sector. Te Puni Kōkiri offers support and guidance for Māori land owners, see Whenua Māori. The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) also provide specific programmes to assist Māori land owners.
He rauemi anō | Other Resources
A range of resources are available online through government websites:
- Business.govt.nz provides tools and expert advice to help businesses succeed. It includes the Funding Explorer tool, to help you explore funding options that may be available to you.
- Connected.govt.nz provides guidance and assistance to businesses about starting and running a business, and employing and upskilling staff.
Ō mātou kōrero | Our Stories
Events and Updates
Latest events and updates for this section are listed below.
Supporting Māori businesses to thrive
Based in the sunny Hawke’s Bay, Māori-owned business Kanapu Hempery is thriving. Combining mātauranga Māori and contemporary technology to develop high quality, Aotearoa grown hemp seed products.
Biggest intake of Māori advertising and design panellists announced
Twelve Māori or Pasifika businesses were announced on the All of Government (AoG) panel for advertising and design service contracts last week. The group is the biggest intake of Māori or Pasifika owned businesses to those two panels.
Double celebration for Māori financial tech company
Māori digital payments company BlinkPay is celebrating two major achievements.
It has just become the first Māori financial technology company awarded ISO 27001 Security certification and has also signed its first Application Programming Interface (API) bilateral agreement, with Bank of New Zealand.
Wāhine Māori trans-tasman company 1Centre flourishing post-COVID
Miriana Lowrie’s trans-Tasman tech company 1Centre Ltd, is one of more than a hundred employers, who used Te Puni Kōkiri Cadetships programme in 20/21 to improve their business and grow the careers of Māori cadets.
Support for Māori businesses through uncertain time
Minister for Māori Development Minister Jackson attended a webinar for Māori businesses hosted by NZ Māori Tourism last week to show his support during a difficult time for businesses.